Thursday, February 11, 2010

icicles

I used to think that icicles were beautiful...

Now I see them as a sign of danger. I've learned this week that if your home has icicles, it can mean that your attic isn't properly ventilated. It can mean that your roof is warmer than it should be. It can mean that the snow/ice will melt and refreeze over your gutters. It can mean you will have leaks from your master bedroom all the way down through the wall in your family room. It can mean you are DEFINITELY ripping off that ugly paneling and putting up sheet rock when the water all dries out.

And hopefully it can mean that our homeowner's insurance will be paying for our family room redo...

8 comments:

sherri said...

Really???? Interesting--hmmmmm......

marci said...

OH NO!!!!!!!

Alisha said...

oh no!! what a bad lesson to learn, especially on your birthday week!
so sorry.

Scott said...

Good luck with the Homeowner's insurance thing . . . let me know how that goes. Really.

Britta said...

on the upside, hurray for de-uglifying the family room!

Kristen P. said...

That is not good! I hope everything dries out soon.

grandkrumps said...

Such trials will make us stronger??? Are there silver linings? You still have your power on?

Joe and Joanne said...

Oh wow. I have to admit that picture looks beautiful. There is something charming about a colonial style house with ice-cycles. However, all those *could be* things you mentioned, I've heard as well, and my landlord makes it a point to knock them all down so as to keep anyone from being injured. Is that something that can be easily done on your house? Without potential injury to the one doing the *knocking down*?