Tuesday, September 19, 2006

trip #1 to the hospital...

(I know labor stuff may bore you, but I just needed to vent this one. I promise I won't post EVERYTHING that goes on physically in the next few weeks...just humor me here...)

The past few days have been some rough ones...

Sunday morning at 3:30 am I started having contractions 10 minutes apart. I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep. Then they started getting a little more intense, so I got up a few hours later and took a bath to try and get them to go away and relax. Coming and going throughout the day, they FINALLY stopped at 6:30pm. Their intensity wasn't bad and they varied in distance apart, so I just waited them out at home while James bathed the kids, took them to Church and made dinner.

Monday came and went with nothing but uncomfortableness. I called my doctor just to let him know what had gone on on Sunday, and that my whole abdomen just ached and I could hardly stand up without feeling like the baby was going to fall right out. I was told to go to the hospital right away if I had more contractions.

So, today I woke up again at 1:00 am, no contractions, but just completely unable to get comfortable. I couldn't get back to sleep, so again I bathed at about 5:00 am. (Nice routine I've got going, I know). Then I felt pretty good.

I decided I was up to driving Rachel to preschool. A few minutes into the drive, I knew that things weren't right. (Car rides are just not good for me these days...even if they're only 10 minutes long!) I barely could get out of the car and walk her to the door. After I got back home, contractions started up and I had a friend drive me down to get monitored at the hospital. James met us there.

Long story short...I'm not dialating AT ALL (which at 35+ weeks is a relief), but the baby's head is so far down. I will have some VERY uncomfortable weeks ahead of me, and there's nothing much that can be done except to keep off my feet. I'm officially on "pelvic rest". Great.

Some ladies in the ward have been so good to me. They did our laundry yesterday and one woman even showed up as I was heading off to the hospital today and stayed to "tidy up". Very nice...and very hard to let someone else do things while you rest. It's humbling...

3 comments:

nettie said...

Wow Val, that sounds awful! I can't imagine being put on any kind of rest. Especially when there are things to do. I hope everything goes okay. (Is it 37 weeks when you're considered full-term?) Take it easy and get some rest! We'll be praying for you.

I don't mind hearing about "labor stuff" one bit, so post away!

Sarah Peterson said...

Bed rest could possibly be one of the worst things they can make you do when your pregnant with 3 kids. Atleast the baby is doing good and not at risk! That's always a relief... I'm sure the time will come and go so fast it will just be a memory before you know it! We'll pray for you and hope that the pressure lets up. Good luck Val!

Kristen P. said...

Oh I feel for you. I had to go to the hospital to be monitored for my blodd pressure:preeclampsia. It was no fun. Those beds are so uncomfortable. And on top of the bed, you are already uncomfortable. Just think it's almost done and then you'll feel good again! Hang in there. It will all be fine.