This post was inspired by a conversation I had with my mom this morning. I've decided I really enjoy living in a small town. Here's why:
1. There's not a lot of traffic. I can go to the grocery store, the bank, the DMV, the library, the quilt shop, the cool toy store, the doctor's office, (heck--even the hospital!) in about 10 minutes.
2. I run into people I know where ever I go! Even after living here only a few months we found this out. (This can also be bad at times, but it usually is nice to run into people. ;)
3. I LOVE the quaint section of "old towne" Warrenton. It's so much homier than how a sprawling suburb feels.
4. There are still "ma and pa" restaurants and shops. (For some reason, there's an Irish flavor to a few of these in Warrenton...including a kilt shop!)
5. People WAVE to each other...all the time, no matter if you know them or not. I've heard this is the "Southern" influence, but whatever it is, I like it. You feel like you're a part of the community.
6. Crime is low. I feel extremely safe...at times I worry about wild animals or dogs attacking the kids though. lol...
That's all for now...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I agree! I visit my parents in Carson City and it's so nice to go to a store and actually find what I'm lookiong for. It's also nice to not have to plan for 30-40 minutes to make it somewhere on time.
i totally agree too!! i miss the "small town". i can't even watch news here. it's all crime and death etc. i hate it. i also miss the days of playing "night games". no way would i let my children play outside at nights in az. no way!!! as i read your post i imagined myself waving to cars as i past. how fun!
STOP IT!!! I have always wanted to live in a small town, and I don't really see a town in our future. Maybe we will retire to a town. That'd be nice!
oh, and I forgot...southern hospitality is the BEST. It even exists in our HUGE city. I think if you can't live close to your family, the south is the next best thing!
What's so great is that we also have HUGE cities nearby. I feel like I have the best of both worlds. If anyone gets the brunt of living here, it's James with his commute though. That's the real downside. In order to live in this kind of place, you have to drive for awhile to get away from the sprawl.
You're right, Nettie. I would never have imagined that the South is where it's at. NEVER. I love it though!
so here is a problem I am not sure how to handle concerning the south and how friendly everyone is...(maybe you have some advice val since you have older kids)
I don't want Morgan to think it is okay to talk to strangers, but I talk to them everywhere we go, and they act like we are life-long friends. They talk to Morgan as well, and I encourage her to say hello, goodbye and to answer their questions...Do you ever worry that your kids will become too comfortable with strangers?
Maybe I am just paranoid, but there are lots of crazies out there.
Hmmm...well, my experience is limited.
Eliza and Seth got their start in Colorado, and when I get upset that they are NOT naturally friendly Eliza will remind me that she's from Colorado. (I laugh at it, but it's been a concern of mine--our neighbors in particular will say hello and Eliza will kind of snub them off. We're working on it...) So for the two of them, I have the opposite problem.
BUT, with Rachel I do have that worry. She's OVERLY friendly and will talk to people everywhere like she knows them--even touches people, etc. It's really scary. I don't know what to do, except apologize to people and then lecture her. I don't want to change her natural outgoing-ness, but I'd like to find a balance.
Funny you mention this, because just this morning Rachel and I had a huge discussion about "good touch and bad touch" and who to tell if someone does something she doesn't feel comfortable about. That's all I'm doing...I need to do more with her!
I also love living in a place where you always see people that you know when you are out and about. The drawback is that you never know how long it will really take at Walmart or Costco because sometimes you can spend an extra hour talking to the 20 people you meet! Small towns rock!
Post a Comment