Monday, March 12, 2007

a day for Seth



Seth had a great birthday on Friday! I can't believe he's already 6 years old...time flies! Some birthday highlights:
  • Going to IHOP for breakfast with Dad. Seth was most excited for the cantaloupe (and he liked the waffle too...)
  • Bringing cupcakes into his kindergarten classroom (26 kids plus 2 teachers meant more than one batch of batter...we let Caroline try it and she cried and cried when I put the beater in the sink. I'm getting relaxed with this one!)
  • Eating lunch with Mom at school.
  • Having Mom read a story to the class--they really loved "A Fish Out of Water" by Helen Palmer. (After the story was over I asked the kids what they thought Mr. Carp did to shrink poor Otto back to his normal size. After quite a few responses Seth raised his hand and said, "I think he got a different fish." Way to think outside the box, Seth!)
  • Being picked up from school and getting to go to the school book fair.
  • Having his favorite dinner: roast and mashed potatoes and gravy.
  • A family party with his "tire" cake. (Yes...I was experimenting with my springform pan, and the middle DID NOT COOK. We tried to salvage it and he came up with the idea of having it be a tire. Anyone know why this would happen?)
  • Spending the entire evening building Star Wars LEGOS and K'Nex and playing a new game.
This was HIS day!

7 comments:

nettie said...

Happy Birthday to Seth!! What a fun day! Morgan loves "A Fish Out of Water" too!

So how do you decide when to have a family party vs. a friend party?

Alisha said...

sounds like so much fun!! happy birthday seth!!we miss you and love you

Janyse said...

Sounds like a great birthday! (With lots of similarities to Jackson's...he got to go to IHOP and bring cupcakes to his teacher.) Six!! What a big kid!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a Great Day.
Happy Birthday Seth!!!

Sarah Peterson said...

hahaha- a tire cake... that's pretty creative and pretty funny! Sounds like a fun day- Happy Birthday Seth!

Valerie said...

Nettie,

We've usually always had friend parties for the kids, but this year Eliza's birthday was 2 days before I was induced for Caroline so we had just a family party. It was really fun to celebrate with just the family, so we ended up doing the same thing for Seth.

Also, he decided he really wanted to go back to the children's museum for his birthday, so we'll be doing that on Saturday and he'll bring a friend. This year that'll take the place of a "friends party". I wish I had a more organized way to figure out what to do for birthdays. I know when I was growing up, we definitely didn't have parties every year...

marci said...

that sounds a lot better than my last birthday! oh to be 6 again! I WISH! Happy Bday Seth! Love you all!