After talking with Traci last night, I'm realizing something: I am in a GOOD SPOT in regards to my kids. It's exciting to recognize and relish in this "in the moment" and not just look back and wish that I could've enjoyed what I had when I had it.
Why so good?
1. All the kids are potty-trained. No diaper bag is necessary. I travel light these days!
2. Eliza is at an age (11 1/2) where she is REALLY helpful. The other day I was heading to Choir practice at church and Caroline wanted to come with me, and Eliza volunteered to come with me to help watch her. What a sweet, thoughtful gesture this was. She often sees needs and comes to my aid, whether it's making lunches in the morning (which she does often) or lend a hand entertaining Caroline when we're sitting through swim lessons or basketball practices. She makes our home run so much smoother!
3. I can leave some kids home by themselves together--namely Seth and Eliza. I don't dare leave any others with them, but I can and do leave those two at home for short periods of time when I can't bear the thought of bringing 4 kids on a short errand. This is VERY freeing.
4. I don't have early seminary to deal with...yet. I will enjoy these last 3 years of "sleeping in".
5. I see a light at the end of the tunnel when it comes to babysitting. I will get to stop hiring babysitters outside of the family very soon...I think we'll start short dates this summer.
6. The kids love to read and they do have a bedtime. I can send them up to their rooms at 8:30pm and let them read, then go back an hour or so later and have them turn off their lights. I love this. So much better than battling a toddler who doesn't want to sleep!
7. The kids get themselves dressed for school and go downstairs and pour milk and eat cold cereal all by themselves. I intervene when wardrobe help is needed or when milk is spilled, but in general they do this on their own.
8. Eliza and Seth get themselves through the shower, completely on their own. I can bathe Rachel and Caroline together and be done with baths in 10 minutes.
9. My kids aren't dating or driving, or worrying me on those levels. I recognize this is coming my way, but for now I'll just enjoy the simplicity of where we're at...
I know there are more reasons, but this is a good start. I think this stage in life is the perfect window for James to be back in school. I would never have planned our life this way, but I'm grateful that the Lord would know I'd be in a 'good spot' for these years while much of the day-to-day childrearing burden would fall on my shoulders.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I like this post. It makes me happy.
:)
Sounds like you ARE in a good spot! God knows when to give us what we need (and even sometimes what we want). I love to read posts where people rejoice in their blessings. Thanks for sharing Valerie!
my jaw hit the ground when you reminded me that eliza is almost 12! wow.
Oh, Happy Day! And to realize it and relish the moments is SO MUCH BETTER than having that AHA MOMENT after the fact. Congratulations!
Well, gee! I must have really been complaining to inspire your gratitude for where you are. Sorry about that. You are wonderful and I feel lucky to know someone who is so grateful for what they have! Thanks for being my example!
You don't have to hear complaints to be inspired to gratitude! Traci just has a full life--to even describe it makes me grateful that she is almost 40, not almost 60 and having to keep up with that schedule!
Post a Comment