Monday, May 11, 2009

now or later?

I'm listening to Caroline screaming upstairs, feeling a little guilty that I'm not going up to intervene. She's in good company up there, but is just irate about something. Not an unusual occurrence. Dinner is cooking in the oven and we're just waiting for James to get home. So, why not spend a minute blogging, right?

I thought I'd share a little laugh we had on Mother's Day.

We were sitting in Church and the Coopers sat behind us giggling while we struggled with Caroline (their youngest of 4 is 14) . She had a particularly rough meeting. Twice she blurted out that she needed to go potty. (She's learned that that phrase gets results.) They saw her damage a prized "book" Seth had been working on all meeting, and his angry response. They witnessed Caroline stab the pipe cleaner flower I had just received into my thigh. At the end of the hour, James turned around and asked if they'd like a 2 year-old. Brother Cooper offered a straight across trade for their youngest. James casually mentioned his plan to slit his wrists when we have 3 teenage girls. Brother Cooper just laughed and said, "Oh, if you only knew...you'd slit your wrists now."

3 comments:

Karen K. said...

That was too funny! I had to read it to Tim too. I promise: it won't be that bad when they're all teenagers. Then again, I'm speaking from the mom's perspective. Yesterday at church the little 2-year-old sitting next to us cried out in the middle of the stake president's talk: "Wake UP Mom!" Anyway, thanks for the laugh. That was a really good comeback from Brother Cooper!

grandkrumps said...

I'd say the wrist-slitting plan depends totally upon the nature of the three teenage girls. I feel blessed to have the terrific girls I was privileged to "raise" over the years. And so far, your girls have some wonderful spirits to set example for younger siblings. You'll make it just fine. I think terrible twos are an exceptionally difficult time!

Joe and Joanne said...

LOL! Oh noooooo Valerie! Sounds like that Carrie knows what she wants and is all about doing whatever it takes to get it! Too, too funny. Who knows, maybe by the time she's a teenager she'll have worked through this temper of hers and be your calmest yet?!