Wednesday, March 18, 2009

humor me

I thought I'd pull a Marci here. Since I last blogged...
  • I started throwing up on Friday night, half an hour after James returned home from his business trip. I have not had my stomach "right" for more than an hour or two since. Thank heavens it waited for James' return home.
  • I've lost 8 pounds and gained 4 back, thanks to a WONDERFUL friend who brought me soup two days in a row. I am so grateful.
  • James and I cleaned up a trail of vomit from an unsaid child's bed, down the hall, completely to my room and then to the bathroom. As I've heard the story from said child's words, I guess the vomit came and said child thought to catch it in cupped hands, then continued to vomit and cup and ran to find me. This meant a SOLID, LONG trail...
  • Every family member has battled this stomach bug. Today Eliza finally succombed to this awful fate.
  • I've managed to help Rachel through 5 days of taking azythromiacin...not a small feat by any means. (Think 35 minutes of crying each night to accomplish the 10 second drink.) I can't take all of the credit. James played a major part here too.
  • I've gotten to know the office staff at the school far too well. Unfortunately, as I've become more familiar, they are hearing more whining from me.
  • I've done truly a dozen loads of laundry, probably more like 15. No quarters involved though...something to be grateful for!
  • I've rescheduled a MUCH overdue haircut for myself two weeks in a row. Who would've thought after the strep fiasco that I would have to cancel again a week later due to another illness in the household?
  • I've decided that we need to purchase a steamvac. Without a great neighbor to loan me her's, I would've ripped out carpet to clean this mess up. (That was my first thought when I saw the carnage mentioned above.)
  • I've laughed to the point of tears telling this story to a dear friend. That is my favorite emotion--laughter through tears.
  • I've realized how many friends I really do have out in VA. SO many kindnesses have come our way.
Next week is bound to be better.

7 comments:

Scott said...

Valerie, I laughed, too, just not through tears (maybe your tears). I'm sorry that your family has been hit so hard. Hope you all get better very quickly.

grandkrumps said...

I'm sorry to hear Eliza caught it too. But your ability to laugh through your tears echoes one of my favorite sayings: Crisis + Time = Humor. You will truly laught about this one for years. May all feel well soon! And may your haircut materialize soon as well.

nettie said...

oh val, this is just awful. i am so sorry, i can't imagine anything worse than cleaning up throw up while throwing up myself. hope you are all feeling better soon.

Joe and Joanne said...

Oh Valerie, I'm so sorry. That is seriously awful. I think the idea of a steam-vac is a great one; those things must kill a good amount of bacteria and virus'. If it's any consoluation just about every parent I know right now; from Seattle to Arizona to here in Boston (and now with you in VA) have children and they themselves are ALL ILL. I wonder if this is typical for this time of the year? Whatever it is - I'm so sorry... I hope things start on the mend here soon!

sherri said...

Hate to echo what everyone selse has said.but I'm so sorry.When a 'bug' hits, everyone in the whole house is at risk--this sounds like a bad one. Hope you are all feeling better soon.

sherri said...

Glad you can laugh about it though.

Kristen P. said...

Sam had that bug two weeks ago then Ben got it last week. Jon and I escaped (whew!). The stomach flu is the WORST!!! I know that all of you will have a better week next week.