Oh man, oh man, oh man. I just called up the orthodontist and scheduled my appointments for spacers and braces. I officially regress to my teens on Tuesday, February 17th!
This is something that has been a long time in coming. Just about every year for the past 3 I've seen an orthodontist, had a consultation and gone home a little devastated. "Jaw surgery, jaw surgery, jaw surgery." They all seem to agree this is the answer for my serious bite issues and crowding. No chance that Invisalign would work for me, darn it. Thank you genetics...
But on Tuesday of this week I again visited another practice and this time was SO pleasantly surprised by the new techniques available for my issues. I won't go into too much detail here, but what I will say is that this will involve two screws in the roof of my mouth for a length of time. Sounds like fun? Yes, these will be a few painful years.
BUT, when finished, I am confident that I will be able to bite through a piece of tomato. And, my jaw (cross my fingers) will be aligned in such a way that when I'm through I truly may not need a jaw splint or suffer from the horrendous jaw aches when the temperature goes below 20 degrees.
I'm nervous and SO excited!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Congratulations! I just KNOW when you are done, it will be worth it. So sorry about the genetic code you got--large teeth, small jaw, bad bite, etc. At least both your Mom and your Dad can empathize with you over every pain and ache. I'll be thinking of you on Feb 17th.
Mom, I really blame myself here for misplacing that first jaw splint...and then the second one. Had I gotten it replaced RIGHT away, I may not be needing this fixed. Except, I'm glad to be able to fix the jaw, so it could be a blessing to just have this all redone.
BRACES! That sounds like loads of fun. Those were the days... I'm sorry that you have to get braces, again.
wow. screws. weird. i hope it works and i hope you're not in too much pain.
Valerie, this is such exciting news! Congratulations! It seems a little odd to say "congrats" to something that will cause so much pain, but to know it will reduce so much pain in the future is definitely something to celebrate! :)
wow, good luck tomorrow, hope it all goes well. do any of your siblings have the same problems?
Nettie, none of them have both the issues that I do. I think one sister has tongue thrust. No one else has my Dad's jaw, that I know of.
(Basically, I have a receding jaw that pushes my bottom jaw back and tongue thrust, which pushes my top teeth forward. It's not a good combination at all.)
Please, let our kids have Peterson jaws and teeth!
Post a Comment