Sunday, February 08, 2009

success

At church today one of the speakers shared this poem. I hunted him down after sacrament meeting to get it. It spoke to me...not so much the eloquence, but the meaning. I wish I could say that I am more "successful" as defined in the poem. Nonetheless, they are great goals.

Success is speaking words of praise,
In cheering other people's ways,
In doing just the best you can
With every task and every plan.

It's silence when your speech would hurt,
Politeness when your neighbor's curt.
It's deafness when the scandal flows
And sympathy with others' woes.

It's loyalty when duty calls.
It's courage when disaster falls.
It's patience when the hours are long.
It's found in laughter and in song.

It's in the silent time of prayer,
In happiness and in despair.
In all of life and nothing less,
We find the thing we call success.

(Author Unknown)

4 comments:

grandkrumps said...

Very profound. That anonymous guy was pretty talented. And I think we all could ponder our "success" in these ways. Thanks for sharing.

Joe and Joanne said...

Beautiful and thought provoking. I love a good poem that speaks to the soul. Thanks for sharing!

nettie said...

very good. thanks for sharing...

JoAnn said...

What a wonderful poem. Words to live by; the world would be a better place.