Friday, January 11, 2008

january

I LOVE JANUARY!!! Here are the top reasons why:
  1. No more Christmas shopping. The stores thin out--even Walmart is somewhat manageable again.
  2. I can stop feeling guilty about my late Christmas cards that turned into New Years cards. What's done is done.
  3. Routines are resumed. School's back up and running which means less fighting at home between the three oldest.
  4. The Christmas decorations are put away. Caroline can stop getting into that mischief. The house feels under control again...ornaments and nativity pieces are still found in random places throughout the house, but I am confident that they will one day stop coming out of the woodworks.
  5. The kids have new coloring/painting/airplane making/handheld games/legos from Christmas. These keep them busy on the go and at home. A lot less of the "I'm bored" syndrome.
  6. Basketball season has started for both Eliza and Seth!!! I love this time of year more than any other for the kids' activities (well...I love summer swim too, so it may be a toss up). I learn something more about how to play basketball each time I bring Eliza to practice, and it is probably their favorite activity of the year. After basketball practice on Wednesday Eliza said, "Oh, I wish practice like this could go on forever." She has a GREAT coach (private high school head coach for girls whose daughter is 10) and they are working really hard on different plays...at AGE 9! She's loving it!
  7. I have new quilt fabric from James and my Mom that I LOVE, and I'm starting on those new projects. There is nothing better than fabric for Christmas.
  8. Things just feel fresh. A fresh new year, new music in Primary, afternoon church again, a new bishopric in our ward. I really have discovered that I like change (mostly). It's fun to shake things up a bit.
I just love the feeling of things completed. Although many things that I do (mothering for one) will never be completely finished, I can still feel the satisfaction of knowing that some things that I put my energy into come to an end and get checked off my list!

7 comments:

nettie said...

oohh...i want to see your new fabric. Did James pick out your fabric on his own? If so, that's impressive.

I love January too, it's so refreshing, it feels like you can breathe again after putting away all the christmas stuff. My goal for 2008 is to be clutter-free!

Mom and Dad Pete said...

I was going to leave my Christmas stuff til Jan. 20; but I put it up because it got all messy. Ditto on the clutterfree thing.
I loved the Christmas cards. You don't have to feel guilty at all--they're great! Worth the wait.

Joe and Joanne said...

Valerie - I loved the New Years Card! I'm glad it turned out to be a NY card. It was such a joy to get it in the mail! Just when I thought the cards from friends and family (which I looked forward to seeing every day after work) were going to stop rolling in, low-&-behold there's another card! I loved it.
I may be down in D.C. the week of January 28th. How far do you live from the actual Distric of Columbia area?

Alisha said...

i loved your christmas card too. it was really fun to recieve a late one actually. i love fun mail.

Valerie said...

Nettie, I'll take a picture and post the fabric one of these days. It's the Moda Shangra-la line. My mom got me the jelly roll, and it has been SO fun to work with! Precut fabric is great. James got me a pattern with fabric that came as a kit. You just can't go wrong with those.

Joanne, we live about 40 miles west of DC. We would LOVE to see you if you're in the area. James works in DC some of the days (every Thursday for sure, and other days at times), and the kids have the 28th and 29th off of school. Maybe we could meet you for lunch or have you over for dinner...whatever works for you. It would be great to see you!

Anonymous said...

WHAT?!?! Those weren't late Christmas cards at all.. sheesh.. there WERE to be NY cards.. at least that was our story.

My goodness, how are we supposed to obfuscate and hide our real reasons for sending late cards if you're always so direct and honest? ;)

Love ya, James

Valerie said...

Obfuscate? WHAT?!?!